Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Weekend (or Play Day Weekend for us)

We were supposed to go to the cabin for Labor Day, but due to so many having colds, with Ashlee being the one we worried about the most, we chose to stay home (much to the kids' dismay) and just play around here. It was nice to sleep in our own beds and not have to pack up a ton of things. We promised the kids that we would just play with them this weekend. No projects for Mom and Dad just lots of fun family time. Yes, my house is paying for it, but it was so worth it. I did get most of the laundry done which was kind of a necessity. We were able to sleep in each day and then go have some fun. On Saturday we enjoyed a nice trip to Walmart - unrushed, no one getting too upset while just kind of browsing and getting a few random things. We then had lunch at Grandma and Grandpa Jacobsen's house and got ready to go fishing at the pond. Our original plan was to go canoeing but someone else had already requested the canoes for the weekend. No biggie! The kids had tons of fun fishing. A few fish were caught (thank goodness none were kept). The weather was almost perfect (a little windy). And we had 5 happy kids! We were able to go pick some sweet corn from the farm! YUMMY!!! We also enjoyed a little BYU vs. Oklahoma football before heading home (we did see the end of the game later that night). Fresh corn was enjoyed for dinner and then a nice relaxing night just hanging out together.

Fishergirl Kenna



Kenna hooked a big sucker!! (just kidding Aidan)

Ashlee enjoyed playing in the back of the Excursion. It made the perfect "play pen" for her. She could see us bug wasn't down on the ground eating dirt.




Megan helping Grandpa reel in a big one!


Love this picture of Andy and his dad fishing side by side.

Aaron and Aidan having fun out in the paddle boat.

Today, Labor Day, we slept in again and then got ready to go to Red Lodge, MT. The kids wanted to go back to the "fun" park and then to the Nature Center (zoo to them). So we packed a picnic lunch and headed out. It was very busy in Red Lodge, and I noticed a lot of people wearing jackets or long sleeves. I thought, "Sheesh! They must be crazy!" Of course I didn't check the temperature in the car. When we stepped out I discovered why they had on jackets. It was a bit chilly. The wind was blowing and I was wishing we had our coats. Every other outing we make I seem to over pack - always having jackets, jeans, tennis shoes, sun screen, hats for the girls, and the kitchen sink sometimes too (just kidding). But this time I decided to just go with the flow and of course we needed all that. Thank goodness we had a blanket for Ashlee and her stroller with a shade. After a while we all adjusted and it really wasn't too bad out. In fact, it was probably more enjoyable than if it had been very sunny. We had fun at the park and eating our picnic lunch.

Chow Time!

Ashlee having fun in the shade of the stroller.

It was then off to the Nature Center. The kids have each been a few times, but Andy and I had never been. The kids were excited to see all the animals again. They each have names, and they remembered several of them.
Andy tried to scare the kids while I was taking their picture by growling like a bear while they had their pictures taken. Kenna just looked at him like, "Whatever, Dad. Nice try." (Kenna is the queen of facial expressions. Wish I would have caught it on camera.)



Speedy the kid friendly buffalo (at least that is what the kids told us - that he was kid friendly)

Kenna loves horses (and all animals - She has no fear.)


Silly kids posing before we left.

My sweet kids! I am so glad they love each other. Sweet Ashlee was all tuckered out.

Me and my sweetheart!! I love when he has a day off and we get to be together all day!

In my opinion we should always have three or four day weekends! It is so much fun to just play together as a family. The kids are growing so fast, and I want to enjoy seeing the world through their eyes for as long as I can. I am so grateful to have been given a second chance to continue to be their mom!

2 comments:

AnneGeo said...

It sounds like and looks like you had a great weekend.

Edie said...

Gosh you have such cute kids! I wish I could see them more often. Tell everybody hi for me!