Wednesday, February 2, 2011

From the Queen to the Princesses

My darling princesses,

I am not a perfect queen, but I am trying and learning so many things each day. Some day you will be the queen of your home and you will be trying and learning each day. They say we can learn a lot from history. I just want to leave a few things I have learned along the way that may help you as you strive to become the queen of your home. After over 12 years of marriage, I am beginning to figure a few things out and I have so many more things to learn. Maybe it will not take you so long to figure some of these out.

Dinner: Yes, it can be the dreaded time, but it can also be a very enjoyable time of the day. I am learning that if dinner is prepared before school is out, that our evenings go so much better. Life is crazy with five kiddos going different directions each night or needing me in different ways. If dinner is done before school is out (or at least to the point of just requiring a few last minute things), we have a lot less stressful of an afternoon and evening and we all get to enjoy a wonderful meal. If we do not get to eat as a family, at least I know everyone is getting a healthy meal and I try to do something to let each person know I am thinking about them even if I am not there to eat with them. Little things can make a huge difference. For instance, using basic white paper plates and leaving a short note for each person on their plate letting them know I am thinking about them. "Good luck at practice tonight!" "Thanks for making your sister's bed for her." "I love you a lot!"

Morning time: (FYI: I am writing this and I totally didn't follow this advice tonight!!) Take 10 minutes out of your evening to make sure the house is straigtened up before crawling into bed. It makes the morning routine go so much smoother if you aren't tripping over toys or books or trying to eat breakfast around last night's dinner dishes. Having school backpacks, coats, gloves, shoes, etc. all laid out in an assigned place, with a purse or diaper bag or whatever you need for your stage of life basically prepared in case you need to run out the door unexpectedly really makes for a less chaotic morning, especially when the out of the norm arises (which happens frequently like spilled milk or someone waking up sick or the unexpected phone call that takes attention away from getting kids ready).

You will probably read these and say "Duh, Mother Queen! We already know that and do that." And to you I will say, "Good!! Maybe I did make a little bit of a difference in your life." I love you, my darling princesses! I only hope you will be a better queen than I am. I will leave you little tips a long the way that I hope will help you become the perfect queen of your home.

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

What a sweet idea, Jamie! I'm sure they will treasure this!