Monday, June 21, 2010

The Plan of Salvation

How thankful I am for the knowledge of why we are here and where we are going! How thankful I am to know that this life is not the end! How thankful I am to know that we have a loving Heavenly Father that has a plan for each of us and that He never leaves us alone! I didn't think that the new that a high school friend and teammate passed away last night after losing her 3 year battle with cancer would hit me so hard and force me to rely so heavily on my testimony. Maybe it has something to do with that it hits somewhat close to home (no, I didn't go through anything like she did, but I do have those moments of "what if" and "what will the next checkup bring"). I last saw Leslie at Darcee's basketball tournament in Cody a few years ago. She was the same sweet, genuine, happy Leslie. I got to meet her wonderful husband and her two beautiful children. It was fun to spend a few minutes catching up on things. She was always such a positive person. (She never once mentioned her struggle then.) I recall her blowing out her knee mid-season of her junior year (my sophomore year). Her twin sister was also on the team and she was always there cheering her and the rest of our team on. She never complained that it ruined the rest of that season and her track season.

This news has brought on its share of tears. Tears for her husband and her children. Tears of selfishness on my part because I am so thankful that Heavenly Father had a different plan for me. I know Heavenly Father will take care of her family. I do know that! But it doesn't mean I don't feel for them. I am so thankful for the reminders that have come to me today to do some reprioritizing again. I am better than I was before I was expecting Kenna but I am not as I was 6 months ago. There are so many unimportant things that can bog down our days. I know it will be a constant battle, but I am recommitting myself to live each day to its fullest and try my best to choose the best of all the good things there are. I have 5 beautiful children, an amazing husband, a wonderful family, and awesome friends that may not know how thankful I am for having them in my life. I have a comfortable home, vehicles that run, food to eat and clothes to wear, Andy has a wonderful job, I have the best employers around (they pay in hugs and kisses), a healthy body, and most importantly a Savior that loves me and wants me to do my best! He knows me; he loves me; he made the ultimate sacrifice for me! He suffered not only for my sins but he took on him my pains and sufferings and sadness and frustration and all that I feel. I can never say that no one knows how I feel because He does. I will be even more diligent in keeping the commandments and doing the "Sunday School answer" things that will keep me focused on the most important things in life.

I pray that Heavenly Father will send comfort to Leslie's family during this sad time for them. I know He cares for each one of us. I hate that it takes this type of a loss to remind me of the things I never thought I would forget after that last year. I haven't totally forgotten but I have become lax. I have had my wake up call and am ready to do better!

1 comment:

Joni said...

Thank you, Jamie, for this message. It is good for all of us to be reminded of our blessings, and what our priorities should be! I needed to hear that today...thank you for giving me some perspective. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm so grateful to know of the Plan of Salvation as well. xoxo to you all