Saturday, October 17, 2009

Wrestling mishap


On Oct. 3 we enjoyed a nice, peaceful Saturday morning watching General Conference. In between conference sessions, Andy went to ExpressCare because he had been sick for a week or so. I was upstairs changing Ashlee's diaper and getting her down for a nap, when Kenna came up the stairs crying. I figured she was mad at the boys cause she had been downstairs playing with them, so I told her to go sit on her bed and I would be there in a minute. When I went in, she was holding her arm and saying it hurt. I tried to calm her and tell her she was tough (which usually works) but it wasn't working this time. I decided I better get the story from the boys on what happened. They said they were wrestling on the rocking chair and Kenna tried jumping on Aidan's head and fell off the chair. I figured by the way she was acting that she had broken it but decided to give it a while cause she was tired. I took her downstairs and rocked with her in the rocking chair. Despite being extremely tired, she had a hard time falling asleep. She calmed down but any time she kind of put pressure on it, she cried. She could move her fingers and her wrist but putting pressure hurt. This was like dejavu from Megan's broken arm and how my mom describes how I was when I broke my arm, but I wanted to give it a little longer. I wanted to see how she was when she was sleeping and after she woke up. So she slept in my arms for awhile and then I laid her in my bed. She woke up once crying that it hurt and I got her calmed down and back to sleep. When she woke up for good, she said it still hurt but she eventually wanted to play with her brothers and sisters. The clincher for me that it was time to take her to the ER was watching her attempt to open the door to go outside. She tried to open it with her right hand and cringed when she put pressure on it. She then switched to her left and opened it. I could see the pain in her face as she attempted this simple task. So Kenna and I headed for the ER. The x-ray tech was already at the hospital, so we didn't wait long. Kenna was such a trooper through all of this. It was like it was just routine. She didn't cry, complain, or cause any fuss. She just smiled and did what they asked. It was a pretty good sign that it was broken when the nurse rolled the laptop computer into our room and said that the doctor wanted to show me the x-rays. Sure enough, a bow fracture just above her wrist. So they put a hard splint on it and said to call the orthopaedic surgeon on Monday to see what he wanted to do with it. Kenna was happy with the stickers the x-ray tech gave her and her request was to show Grammy her arm. Grammy happened to be on her way home from Cheyenne from state tennis so we went and showed Grandma Ruth instead. (Sidenote: Grammy had 5 broken arms when she was a little girl. Grandma Ruth saw way too many arms wrapped up like sweet little Kenna's. Guess Kenna wanted to try and be like her Grammy. Let's hope this is the only one she has, not five like Grammy!)

See my broken arm! It hasn't slowed me down!

Monday morning we headed to the orthopaedic surgeon, Dr. Hansen. He and his PA Scott took care of Megan when she broke her arm at just about this exact same age. Good news for Kenna - only 3 weeks in a cast and in 6-9 months her arm should look straight again. She missed the growth plate (thank goodness)! Of course Kenna chose pink for her cast. She got lots of attention at the doctor office cause she was so cute in her pink outfit and her pink bow and her pink cast plus her sweet little smile and personality.

All tuckered out from a crazy weekend!

Despite being right handed and breaking her right arm, Kenna has not slowed down. It amazes me at how resiliant little kids are. She just does things with her left hand and whatever she can manage with her right. She doesn't complain and thank goodness has not used it as a weapon (knock on wood). She is scheduled to go back to Dr. Hansen on Monday, Oct. 26th to get her cast off. Then I will be a panicky mother for a while until it is strong again. I really don't want to do this again!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Spencer broke his arm when he fell off of our kitchen island on Mothers Day 2008. Broken arms are one of those things of "when" it happens, not "if".